Goal-oriented student with multiple experiences outside of school. Used digital resources to self-teach different skills from using excel to website design and many more. Worked with many top organizations around the world, founded and led 2 startups into being one of the best in their firms in Ethiopia, and been part of multiple competitive entry programs offered by companies like Google and Microsoft. Below you will find more information and details. Visit my digital resume for more of my experiences and detailed information at www.melanshifa.com.
Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Honors program student and recipient of the International Mavericks Scholarship.
- Unofficial transcript could be provided on request.
- Took a Natural Sciences concentration with general class like Civics, English, etc.
Summer Programs Experience
- Worked on coming up with a solution to ease user experience on Microsoft's Customer Insights product under the Business Applications and Platform org.
- Through the 3 month, we started as PMs, brainstormed and worked on a design doc for our approch; after getting an approval on our pitch from the design team we went ahead to implment our design.
- Most fundamental experience and skills gained. // add a space
- React JS
- Working and collaborating on a large codebase
- Git and AzureDevOps
- Designing 1-pagers and Spec sheets
- Working as a team on a coding project and breaking tasks.
- Configured multiple individual coding projects by using concepts such as variables, data types, and functions.
- Delivered a collaborative final project presentation that included a live demonstration to Google employee and community leaders.
- Learned different high value skills like using photoshop, illustrator and others to design beautiful designs from logos to posters and even animated videos.
- I was able to be become a great designer in no time.
- My skills got me into different high status design projects in Ethiopia.
Html & CSS
Awards and Recognitions
Global Problem Solver and Galactic Problem Solver- Nasa Space App Hackathon.
Winner- Nasa Scientist for a day competition.
Special Mention Team(Top 30/ 200 teams)- CERN Beamline For School Competition.
Recommendation Letter- Melak Zebenay(NASA Engineer)
Appreciation Letter- President Barack Obama.
Full Ride Scholarship- Intellectual Schools.
Certficate of Appreciation and dinner invitation to Ambassador's Residence at the US Embassy- US Embassy
Awards and Recognitions
Full Time volunteer as Tutor and Events Planner
- Designed more than 100 posters and banners for different events held by the center throughout the years. By using different psychological studies when designing those posters- with the goal of attracting the demographic it wanted to attract, I was able to grow the center's members and participants number by at least 50 percent in a really short time, while simultaneously improving my design skills.
- My work got me an appreciation letter and a dinner at the ambassador’s residence.
Shellhacks, Hacker and Team Leader.
- We added new hardware based features to it where students can share their page and connect with a simple tap of phones, we did this using the NFC already installed inside most phones.
Space App Hackathon
Invention Challenge Competitor
- Used different equipment and parts to design the machine, while self teaching ourselves how to use them.
- We won the school level and passed to the international level; but couldn’t attend due to visa issues.
Cosmo Club, President and Founder.
- By using different reach out strategies through social media and focusing on what members wanted and providing it, I grew the club to have 300+ members.
I worked on different platforms to share my thoughts, I have been the main editor and wrote a couple of articles in my schools magazine in Saudi; I write and publish blogs on Wecare’s blog page and on my medium page. I also had the chance to self-publish two books the space and the ISS throughout my highschool years and currently I am working on an advanced book.